Monday, March 26, 2007

Dealing With Toxic People

This is a post I should have put up last week, but I'm hopeful that it will be better to post it late than never.



On 3.18, I preached a sermon called "Giving Up Resentment for Lent" and I got a very nice e-mail response from one of the folks who heard it asking my thoughts about actual tactics for dealing with "toxic" people. By toxic, the writer meant the kind of person that is resentful, negative and generally miserable--and seems determined to make sure you are miserable too. How exactly do you prevent yourself from being resentful towards this kind of person?


I promised to respond via the blog. It just took me a week to get around to it. So, sermon feedback giver--you know who you are--I hope this helps.

A little self-disclosure would be appropriate right about now. Any advice I can give comes out of my own failed experiences of dealing with people like this. In particular, I'm thinking about a co-worker from a past place of employment. Let's call this person "Toxic Person--TP for short."


TP was/is a person that had the amazing and sociopathic ability to be nice to you one minute and horrible the next. The "nice" treatment was so nice that it left me really confused when the horrible treatment occurred. Was this a bad day? Did I do something wrong? Was there something going on with TP that I should know about? Major benefits of the doubt were offered from my end.


TP's negative behavior first showed up when talking about someone else behind their back--usually this came in such a way that made me feel like I was the only one TP was sharing TP's thoughts with. I felt special in that middle school way you feel when you're part of the cool clique. Only later did I realize that I was not particularly special, and TP talked about me behind my back in the same way. It was a common tactic of TP when TP wanted to undermine or settle a score with someone else.



TP and I really crossed swords--metaphorically--when I didn't go along with TP's program--whatever that was. First over little things and then later over larger things--once I began to wise up--TP's need for control of me and really, I guess, everything became pretty obvious to me.



Once I finally realized that I just couldn't trust TP on really any level--emotionally, in regards to work, to keep a confidence, etc.--I noticed a lot of toxic behavior. TP would suck up to all the right people, so that any complaint I might make to somebody who had power over TP would not be believed--I would end up looking like the petty one. TP kept score and never forgot. Things that occurred days, weeks, months--even years earlier would not be forgotten by TP, and you never knew when TP might remind you of it or punish you for it. TP liked to be the center of attention and hated it when other people got rewarded or praised--unless it was TP's idea. TP knew the gossips around the workplace and played them like a fiddle to make TP look good and others bad. TP felt most comfortable complaining and would often complain about something you also disliked in order to get in your good graces or manipulate you.



I came to realize that TP was not only playing by different rules than me, TP was playing a different game altogether. TP was constantly calculating--maybe at a level that TP didn't even realize. There was nothing TP said or did that didn't have some element of manipulation. That sounds extreme, but I really believe it. I even think that TP was often not even aware of TP's mixed motives and deceit.



TP was/is a deeply troubled person.



I didn't deal with TP very well. It took me a long time to stand up to TP in an appropriate way. I reacted to whatever TP did, and eventually I realized that by constantly reacting to TP, I was giving TP power over me. I was an accomplice to my own frustration and hurt feelings.



Looking back now, I realize that much of my problem had to do with power. I felt powerless to stop TP from doing all the really mean things TP did to me and to others. There was no superior or supervisor to report to that would view my complaints as anything more than personal. I felt like there was nothing that I could do besides just be abused by TP on a regular basis.



I realize now that although I could not control TP's behavior, I could control how I reacted to TP's behavior. I had a choice in how I responded. Most of the time I was not successful, but I did have some good days where I was able to have pity if not compassion for TP.



Some things that I tried which worked for me:

  • when I realized that I was dwelling on what TP had done to me or someone else--by dwelling I mean not healthy thinking or problem solving but ruminating and storing up bitterness--I stopped it right then and there. I literally had to say to myself, "TP is not worth it. Go do something else with your time." I discovered that even when I wasn't around TP, I was allowing TP to distract me from things far more important and meaningful.

  • I found safe people to talk with about TP--people who didn't even know TP, who could offer support and some objectivity. It helped to have my feelings validated and to have my own behavior double-checked.

  • I was careful around TP but not paranoid. I realized that the best way I could protect myself was to not give TP any ammunition against me. I didn't retaliate and I didn't disclose anything personal to TP. The added side effect was that this actually ended up bothering TP, because I wasn't giving TP the negative attention TP desired--yes, I said "negative attention." Just like a child, TP took any attention TP could get--positive or negative.

  • I was careful not to sit around complaining about TP with other coworkers--not only was there the possibility that some other person would pass on what I said--even unintentionally--to the manipulative TP, but even more importantly, I found sharing my complaints with others who felt the same way quickly devolved from supporting one another to feeding their resentment and mine.

  • I laughed. I learned to recognize how ridiculous TP was acting and simply laugh at how god-awful amazing it was at times.

  • I prayed for TP--yes, I prayed. There's a good reason why Jesus tells us to pray for our enemies, so that we do not become like them. Many times I wanted to respond to TP in kind and I think my prayers for TP were the only thing that kept me from sinning. My prayer helped me--sometimes not always--to remember that God loves TP. God created TP, so there must be something good inside of TP that I should not lose sight of, even though I had difficulty seeing it at all. Through prayer, I was able, at least once or twice, to feel compassion for TP and to consider how awful it must be for TP to spend TP's life being such a miserable person.

In this Lenten season as we consider Jesus' example of responding to hatred and betrayal, I think it is good for us to realize that Jesus chose how he would respond and he remained in control of himself no matter what others did to him. Christians often get the idea that Jesus' example is for us to just be lumps that allow others to make us victims. Instead, I think Jesus offers us an example of how to act rather than react to toxic and hurtful people.

Jesus chose to undergo his suffering. He did so for a higher purpose of demonstrating God's love. He did not do so, because he was a wimp or because it is virtuous to suffer in and of itself. What Jesus did when he went to the cross is different from say...a woman remaining with a guy who beats her. What Jesus did is different from say...continuing to let a "friend" manipulate you. What Jesus did is different from say...reaching in the same manner in which you have been treated by a toxic person.

Jesus shows us that we can choose how we act and we do not have to constantly be reaching to a toxic person. We can choose to respond with love without condoning negative behavior. We can love someone without liking them. I also have to believe--even though I'm not very good at this--that we can forgive someone without having to pretend that things are suddenly okay between us and toxic people. I don't believe in the idea of "forgive and forget." There is a way to forgive and to continue to protect yourself from being hurt without holding on to resentment and bitterness.


I have no easy steps on how to get there, but I do believe it comes about somehow through God's grace. It comes about by saying and really believing that toxic people are not worth obsessing over. Life is better spent thinking about bigger things--important things--rather than being sucked in to the small behavior of small people.

Grace and Peace,

Chase

19 comments:

Beth said...

I appreciated this message as it is something I have struggled with at times. I am a mostly positive person. Sometimes, though, the negativism of others can drag me down. I appreciated the tips on handling those situations. In fact, I used the humor tip this week when I had an incident with a TP and it worked. Kids are also a great way to pull you out of the hole, too. We fed our son Ben ice cream this week and he found something about it funny and laughed and laughed and made us laugh and laugh. Another tip is that age old prayer about being able to handle what you can't change.
I came across one of my favorite new quotes this week by Maya Angelou. It applies to this same topic of handling toxic people or situations: "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Good words to live by.
Thanks again for the weekly thoughts that entertain and make us think. Beth

Unknown said...

This was great, thanks so much! I could see myself rapidly sinking into bitterness and hatred this weekend due to some extremely hateful allegations made towards me, and I felt like I was being transformed into some type of monster. It just isn't worth it to hang on to the hurt.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I ended up here, the only explanation is that God needed me to read this. I have been batteling this same toxic relationships for a while, and I forgive so easily but also forget just as easy. This is hurting me and allowing toxic friends to continue to ruin me as a person is over. I must learn to love my enemies, but also protect myself from continuing to be hurt. Thank you again for such wise words.

Chasemice said...

I cannot even tell you how much your post helped me today.

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful message that I was very glad to read. Thank You Very Much. Peace Be With You

Anonymous said...

Like a previous comment said, I don't know how I got to this blog, but I'm glad I found it.
I just spent a weekend with my father, who has left me completely drained of emotion. I don't understand how one person can maintain a great domineering arrogance, and pathetic insecurity at the same time. How conflicting to the very core to be constantly looking for validation, yet exuding such extreme self confidence. No wonder he exhausts everybody around him. The level of energy required to maintain it all has got to be monumental.
I've never heard the term "toxic people" but it fits him almost too perfectly.
Thank you, for this post & for suggestions dealing with his toxicity.

Lea Ann said...

Thank you so much, I really needed this article.

Scott said...

I needed this, thank you very much and God bless you.

Shriya said...

Oh wow...what a wonderful article- I can't begin to tell you how much this article helped.

Thank-you for sharing
Shriya

Anonymous said...

This has literally changed my whole perspective today and has shown me the light so to speak, when dealing with such toxic individuals! The negative energy these people are able to put out and try to make others absorb is significant. Thank you!!!

Amy said...

This message was brilliant! Thank you for not being afraid to post something like this. I say this because I am exhausted with all the "rose-colored lens" preaching that I and my family are hearing lately. Too many sermons aren't "real" enough. Your thoughts here are incredibly real and motivating; they reach the heart.

It's frustrating when so many realities of life are impacted by the very "toxic people" personalities you talked about here. I've done Bible studies and research on these personality traits in the past, but I'd "forgotten" a lot of what I learned and put to use in setting my boundaries. I'm grateful for your words here in that they are serving to remind me WHY boundaries are good and that it's "okay" to implement them.

God wants me to be the "ME" He created me to be. I can't be that person if I let toxic people impact my life to the point that I can't serve Him. And serving Him needs to be my most important goal.

Thank you, Chase! :)

Anonymous said...

Gill says:
Thank you for this message. I have been struggling with a TP for many years and at times have felt she was "killing me". I know I let her get under my skin and It has been one of the most difficult situations I've had to deal with as a Christian. I just don't feel prepared. Every time I see or hear from her it takes days to recover.It's been a long battle, but hopefully I'll get there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, there are no coicidences I currently experiancing the epitome of a TP. I have encountered every scenario you described with toxic co-worker. The mood swings, relentless manipulation and bad mouthing are some things I deal with on a daily basis. I have not responded (with other co-workers) to the behavior but feel powerless and alienated to everyone in TP's corner. It was very comforting to read that my actions are not weak and will continue to pray and pity the TP.

Anonymous said...

Hi , thank you so much for this particular older post, i have been looking through diffirent website on how christian should deal with toxic people, and some post made me felt sort of uncomfortable, as they place emphasize on self protection only, which is nothing wrong, but i keep i wondering to myself whether God would want us christians to be self centred in dealing with such people, thanks for reminding me through this post that while i should protect myself , it doesnt mean i should not pray for the person, and learn to love them the best i know how, from a distance of course. anyway, for long time,like you described in the post, i let other nasty behaviour toward me to affect my life in a very destructive way, and you pointed out, a lot of those it is actually not worth it to dwell on petty behaviours as there are alot more important thing for us to focus on. thanks again for posting something that balanced.

Anonymous said...

Please pray for me I'm dealing with one now. :-((

Unknown said...

I have been dealing with one too so this is also extremely enlightning at the same time i am taking solace that i am not the problem here.. extremely calming.,. thanks for writing this kiranjyot

Anonymous said...

I had a "TP" in my life for years. I felt like what you wrote described my TP to a tee.

I am so glad to "come across" this blog... The Holy Spirit at work freeing and teaching. Thank you!

Marissa said...

I thought I was a very cool person until I encountered TP. I suffer from systemic hypertension and heart enlargement so these past few days have been horrible days for me.

Always to be in control of myself, I shout inside, "Reason should control emotions." But there are instances when my patience is being put to test.

How can you be cool when after all sacrifices and good things you have done to a person, he will still think negatively about you, putting you down, feeling himself deprived, always swimming in the sea of self-pity, drowning in grudges and all negative emotions?

Thanks, God, I found your blog! I was to vomit earlier maybe due to stress thinking about this situation which I am having difficulty to change. Your article is like an ice water cooling me now... Thanks, indeed!

Unknown said...

I loved this! We have a TP of our own at work, and this person can be difficult for the exact reasons you described, and TP has had an effect on us all. Thank you so much for this. I am going to have all my girls read this, including TP who may very well be feeling the same way about us.