Friday, March 24, 2017

Recommended Reading 11-16-16 edition

FYI: I've neglected my blog in recent months, so I'm posting some stuff I've sent out to my church during that time.  This explains why some of the links and topics are somewhat dated.  Here they are for the purposes of posterity.

Regularly, if somewhat spasmodically, I share a list of things I'm reading, watching and listening to with my congregation.  If I remember to do so, I also post it here on my blog:

Stuff I Referenced in My Sermon Last Sunday on Positive Ways to Respond to the Election
Responses to the 2016 Election
Analysis of the Election Turnout
  • "A Closer Look at Trump Country" (On Point with Tom Ashbrook)--Interesting program on white blue collar Trump voters. Of course, race is an issue (it always is), but there are a lot of other factors going on like decline of community institutions (e.g. churches), breakdown of families, impact of globalization and rise of China, stagnant wages, the opiode epidemic, etc. Interesting thoughts about why some of the same voters who went for Obama in 2008 went for Trump in 2016.
  • "The Politics of Rural Resentment"--(WNYC's The Brian Lehrer Show)--another good program on white working class voters, this time in Wisconsin--a social science professor shares research on why the same voters who voted for Obama in 2008 voted for Trump in 2016

Fake News and the Election
Sports and Social Justice
Other Stuff I Think is Cool
You can find more stuff that I think is worth reading, watching and listening to by following me on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments: